Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyLeukemiaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
May 13
 · 
Reactions
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member

A basic habit of eating healthy and exerting will been a person's health. I am 74 and I visit the gym 3 times a week for an hour. The last 30 minutes are an effort. I had read that exercising for 150 minutes per week can be a healthy benefit. I paced myself with 30 minute visits and slowly increased my time at the gym. In the past I was a jogger and I plan to get back to running. Last summer I had run a mile in 9 1/2 minutes?

May 14
MyLeukemiaTeam

First, a big virtual hug to you both — a new diagnosis is a lot to take in. The good news is that CLL is a slow-growing leukemia, and at Stage 1, many doctors actually recommend a "watch and wait" approach rather than jumping straight into treatment.

This means regular check-ins with the doctor to monitor things like:

- Show Full Answer

First, a big virtual hug to you both — a new diagnosis is a lot to take in. The good news is that CLL is a slow-growing leukemia, and at Stage 1, many doctors actually recommend a "watch and wait" approach rather than jumping straight into treatment.

This means regular check-ins with the doctor to monitor things like:

- Lymph node size
- Blood cell counts
- Spleen size
- Any new or worsening symptoms

This approach isn't doing nothing — it's a deliberate strategy to avoid unnecessary treatment side effects while the cancer isn't actively causing harm. If and when treatment becomes necessary, there are several options available to slow cancer cell growth, including:

- Targeted therapy drugs like ibrutinib (Imbruvica), acalabrutinib (Calquence), venetoclax (Venclexta), or obinutuzumab (Gazyva)
- Chemotherapy combined with targeted therapy (chemoimmunotherapy)
- Immunotherapy in certain cases

The right treatment plan will depend on his age, overall health, genetic markers in the cancer cells, and personal preferences. His oncologist will guide that decision when the time comes.

May 13

Related Questions

View All
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Haven, IN

A MyLeukemiaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Decatur, GA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In