Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyLeukemiaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 16, 2024
 · 
Reactions
Watch and Wait With CLL/SLL: When Should You Start Treatment? Read Article...
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member

Thank you for all of the information. I'll have to study it so I understand all of the terms you used.

June 20, 2024
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member

Continuation

4. Omega-3, Vitamin D, and Curcumin
A doctor I know (one of the few immunologists in Germany) mostly prescribes omega-3 fatty acids and Vit. D for autoimmune diseases. Omega-3s also modulate the immune system. He usually prescribes 2 gr. per day. A good product should be chosen. However, if there is a tendency to bleed or heart arrhythmias, I would be cautious about taking more than 1 gr per day without consulting a doctor. If one takes phospholipids from krill, a lower amount is needed.

Iolene, in an excellent response to a question here on the forum, which I fully agree with, you also recommended curcumin. I think curcumin is probably one of the most potent anti-inflammatory plant substances we have. I personally do not take curcumin with Piperine because Piperine can interact with medications or worsen digestive issues. There are various formulations of curcumin. I prefer a nanoformulation. Affordable products made with this technology (e.g. NovaSOL) are already available in drugstores. In the States, there are various manufacturers of nanoformulations. This Curcumin is said to have a much higher bioavailability (185-fold, according to studies).

5. Inflammation-Resolving Mediators – New Class of Medications
Iolene, I don’t know if this point might help you, but who knows.
Recently, I read an interesting sports medicine article titled “Resolving Inflammation with Natural Substances.” We’ve long known that inflammation is triggered by certain prostaglandins, whose formation is inhibited by NSAIDs. The article explained that there are also mediators in the body, called SPM (specialized pro-resolving mediators), that are involved in resolving inflammation, relieve pain, and promote wound healing.
Conclusion of this article: there are new approaches for inflammation-resolving substances. There is an available plant-based product (with 14 primarily plant-based ingredients (Traumeel S) that has supposedly shown inflammation-resolving effects.

6. Closing Remarks:
I don’t want to offend or criticize anyone, but one thing is right and important:
The patient is at the center of treatment. CLL is a cancer but is now well-treatable. without chemotherapy, and further therapies are in development. It might even be curable in the near future (without stem cell transplantation, the CAR-T therapy might be on the way there). GCA can be associated with severe pain, and if a patient goes blind, the eyesight cannot be restored. The oncologist is the chief in all therapies who makes the final decision in case of doubt. But he cannot only focus on CLL; he must weigh the consequences for the patient and what can be treated and how. This should also be the case for your GCA (second opinion ?).

Iolene, I don’t know if any of these hints will help you, but I sincerely hope 🍀you find some improvement somehow!

Alexander 🌻

June 20, 2024
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member

I could only find studies of five cases in the US studies of these two diseases together with zero actually treatment which helped. It's rare to have both of these conditions at once. The Predisone does help there GCA but it comes with horrible side effects. GCA can cause instantaneous permanent blindness.

June 17, 2024
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member

Thank you. My Oncologist said it would cause the Lymphocytes to increase.

June 17, 2024
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member

IoleneBrown. My Nurse sister-in-law said> Actemra is used if steroid drugs have not helped but Actemra helps people with GCA stay in remission long-term. Best speak to your consultant. Good luck and God be with you xx

June 17, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyLeukemiaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Albuquerque, NM

A MyLeukemiaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Augusta, WV

A MyLeukemiaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Albuquerque, NM

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In